File Manager Cpanel Tutorial describes you how to use file manager in your cPanel.
Step-1: First Login to cPanel.
Step-2: Type “File Manager” on Search Panel
At the top of your cPanel dashboard, you can see search option.
Step-3: Click File Manager Options
Step-4: Your File Manager will open
Your File Manager will look like this:
1. Settings: Click on the settings will open a popup like this
- 1. Home Directory – Enabling it will show your home directory like this: /home/username/…
- 2. Web Root – Enabling this will show only web root. Your Public Html files is the main directory of your website.
- 3. Public FTP – This option shows your public ftp directory.
- 4. Document Root – You can select your website by choosing a website (if you have more than one website). You can see the website directory only.
- 5. Show Hidden Files – This will show all hidden files on your directory. Remember, accessing hidden files or changing may caused your website down! We recommend don’t check this.
- Disable Character Encoding Verification Dialogs – When you edit or change some files it will ask you every time to verify encoding. This option will enable or disable this.
2. Home Directory: Your Home directory look like this: home/YourUsername/. This is your main directory. Your all files and work will save under this directory.
3. Public Html: public_html is the main directory of your website. Your all web files and works will save on this directory.
4. Tmp FIle: tmp files are the temporary files. All your temporary files will save on this directory. You may clean this to reduce your web loads.
Edit A File on File Manager cPanel
To edit a file on file manager first select a file (like index.php).
Now look at the options and know its work:
- 1. +File: This options will add a new file. When you click on it, it will open a blank file. You can add some code and save it with proper extension (like .html, .php etc).
- 2. +Folder: This option will create a new folder on the directory.
- 3. Copy: You can copy selecting file or folder to another directory.
- 4. Move: You can move selecting file or folder to another directory or folder.
- 5. Upload: You can upload a file on this folder or directory using this.
- 6. Download: You can download selecting file.
- 7. Delete: To delete a file or folder use the option.
- 8. Restore: To restore a deleted file or folder use this option immediately after delete.
- 9. Rename: To rename a file or folder use this option.
- 10. Edit: To use a file use this option. This will open a new tab and open the file.
- 11. Code Editor: If you want to edit code files like html or php etc you can use this option.
- 12. HTML Editor: This option is specially for editing html files.
- 13. Permissions: You can setup the file permissions using this. You can set read, write and execute for the user, group and the world.
- 14. View: You can view a file with this option. You cannot edit or change.
- 15. Extract: If you upload zip file then you can extract the file using this.
- 16. Compress: You can compress any file or folder to zip archive using this option.
- 17. Home: Clicking on this button will take you the home directory.
- 18. Up One Level: You can up one level using this option. Suppose your directory is home/dir1/dir2/dir3 and this button will move you to dir2.
- 19. Back: This button will move your back directory.
- 20. Forward: This will take you to next directory, where you leave.
- 21. Reload: This will reload or refresh the directory.
- 22. Select All: This will select all files and folders of current directory.
- 23. Unselect All: To unselect the selected files and folders click this.
- 24. View Trash: To see your trash files click this.
- 25. Empty Trash: To delete all your trash files click this.
Need a cPanel hosting?